Wednesday, August 10, 2011

One blade of grass

I mowed my lawn yesterday evening after it got below 212* F.  Thank you, God, for coastal breezes.  This morning, I was walking in after working out and I saw it.  One blade of grass.  Stupid little blade.  Smack in the middle of my freshly mowed lawn is one little blade of grass, sticking up in defiance, taunting me with that, "You're never going to get me clipped to the same height as the rest of the yard so don't even think about it" look.  Stupid little blade of grass.

And as I sat down to write this morning, the Holy Spirit reminded me of a conversation from yesterday and a verse I quoted in it.  Song of Solomon 2.15:
"Catch the foxes, the little foxes that spoil the vineyards, for our vineyards are in blossom."
In churches, little foxes can become big devourers because the Enemy uses them to divide, promote gossip, and cause distraction from our focus on God.

In marriages, little foxes can build up over time to become big problems when issues aren't dealt with, repentance doesn't happen, forgiveness isn't granted and received, communication suffers, hearts turn away from one another, affirmation ceases to exist inside the marriage, pursuit is put aside and coexistence becomes the new norm.

In my own heart (and yours too), little foxes can still devastate the vineyards in blossom where God is bearing fruit by thinking that little sins don't mean that much, one look doesn't matter that much, one thought isn't all that bad, one idol in my heart is better than 4 or 5 like John down the street has, and my kids turned out okay so I must be okay.

Little foxes.  Vineyard spoilers.  God's command through the poetry of Solomon?  Catch 'em.  Deal with them.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment