Taking Aim at Marriage
Part 3 – Ephesians 5.33
Marriage is God’s portrait of Christ’s relationship with His people through the selfless and passionate covenant of husband and wife.
God defines marriage: the one-flesh union of husband and wife.
God designed its purpose: to show His relationship with His people.
God determines its roles: godly leadership and faith-filled submission.
Summary Statement: Love and Respect make marriage work well.
Husbands: Love your wives
- Undergirding Thought: I will pursue God’s best for my wife.
- This command to love is unconditional.
- Main objection: I don’t know how to really love her.
Wives: Respect your husbands
- Undergirding Thought: I will honor God by honoring my husband.
- This command to respect is unconditional.
- Main objection: respect is an earned commodity.