Taking Aim at Marriage
Part 1 – Ephesians 5.31-33
Marriage is God’s portrait of Christ’s relationship with His people through the selfless and passionate covenant of husband and wife.
God defines marriage (v.31)
- One flesh: their lives become a life for a lifetime.
- Culture tries to shape and twist the things of God to its own selfish ends.
- Covenant marriage is selfless and passionate.
- Selflessness grows because you have a reason to be selfless.
- Passion grows because the soil is fertile.
- None of this is possible without the reality of the Gospel pressed into us.
God designed its purpose (v.32).
- God designed marriage with God in mind.
- It’s primary purpose: display the beauty of Christ’s relationship to His people.
- It’s secondary purpose: a means for the transformation of our lives (v.26-27).
God established its roles (v.33).
- Husbands: love your wives unconditionally.
- Wives: respect your husbands unconditionally.