Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Whoops!

So our boy Harold Camping has admitted he made a mistake.  Mr. Prophet now says that the judgment day will be October 21st, 2011.  May 21st was a miscalculation and the beginning of spiritual judgment.  The new October date won't be spiritual he says.

What do you say after worldwide publicity has focused on your prediction and you're wrong?

"Whoops!  I meant October."

And here's where it gets really personal for me.  What do I say when I say something wrong?  Even if I have the best of intentions and it comes out wrong, what do I say?

"Whoops!  I really meant something else."  Mistake.

"Whoops!  You misunderstood me."  Blame you, not me.

"Whoops!  That's not what I said."  Denial.

Or, how about this one.  It's hard to say.  I'll admit that on a personal level it's hard for me to say.  But try this one on for size:

"Whoops!  I was wrong."

I'll be the first to admit, I don't like being wrong.  Something in me just thinks I'm right most (all?) of the time.  I've got this default setting that I'm right and can't be wrong unless proven so by incontrovertible evidence.

I think that's pride.

But I could be wrong about that.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

1 comment:

  1. Ah Harold, don't worry about it... after all, it's not the end of the world.... :)

    ReplyDelete