Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Seeing clearly in the dark

I was thinking about this yesterday in light of something I was reading.

It seems easiest to find and go after an enemy, someone with whom you disagree on some level.  Some are theological enemies.  Some are political enemies.  Some are annoyances that are easier to go after than endure.

It's much harder for me to turn the light on me (and you to turn it on you).  As any political season wears on, we always see attacks stepping up and actual policy content, actual argumentation and logic, and actual articulation of principles go down.  But it's easy to go after politicians, isn't it?  It's much harder to apply this to me.

If it's true that people by nature love the darkness rather than the light (John 3.19-20), then one great way to stay in the darkness is go after others.  That way, you can still act like, feel like, sound like, and look like you're in the light.  Rather than come to the light, we point out others in darkness.

But again, it's easy to talk about and point out.  Much harder to do.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment