Saturday, October 23, 2010

NT75 Day 41: James

There are scary verses in this book about the rich.  What's more, I really don't want to blunt the fear that it strikes in my heart (or yours, I hope).  Because we're in familial post-op recovery mode, I'll just make a comment or two.

In chapter 1, James warns the rich against the pursuit of their riches.  By pursuing wealth, the rich makes the choice to invest in things that don't last (like flowers that fade and grass that wilts under the sun).  I'll offer that this is still just as dangerous in suburbia as it was in the Dispersion.

In chapter 5, James warns the rich against the use of their riches.  They have laid up treasure in the last days that will not last.  They have used their riches to oppress others rather than bless others.  Self-indulgence is the hallmark and it brings God's condemnation.  Again, suburbia needs to listen and heed (being doers, rather than just hearers of the Word).

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment