Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Terror, Boston, and the Nature of Evil

As I write Monday evening, there are three dead including an 8-year old girl and 130 people injured.  Those are the stats displayed non-stop on my television.  Who knows where the days ahead will take us and what they will reveal.

But I'm scared.

I'm not scared of bombs going off any more than the next guy.  A possibility?  Sure.  Scary?  Yes.  But in the sense of keep-me-up-at-night, no.

Here's what I'm scared of:  we won't call this evil.  It is.  So is the Gosnell situation.  And there are plenty of others.  And because it is, we should call it such.  Evil.  Devoid of good.  Darkness, not light.  Evil.

We cannot lose the capacity to talk about things like this as evil.  If we do, we lose a moral capacity.  That's the thing about evil - if we don't name it as such, the ability to recognize and name it also erodes. There's nothing good about that.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment