Monday, April 29, 2013

George Jones is dead...but he can still teach us

I loved the music of George Jones.  Still do.  Somehow I feel like I'm still walking down to Braum's with my grandfather from their house in Dumas when I listen to him.

Choices (below) might just be the most biblically literate song ever sung by someone in the non-explicitly-Christian genre.  Heck.  It's more biblically literate than some of the explicitly Christian songs that get played on the radio today.


When he sings about choices, he is singing about his accountability before God.  And he knows they're not right.  And he struggles with sin, even though he's "still losing this game of life I play, living and dying with the choices I've made."

Here's what I need (and you too).  We need a little more George Jones in our relationship to sin.  We need to see it for what it is.  We need to fight against it.  We need to lament it when it grabs us.  Instead of whining about it, instead of loving it, instead of embracing it, we need to George-Jones it.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...


And as a bonus, here's what just might be the greatest country song ever:

No comments:

Post a Comment