Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sermon Notes from 6 November 2011

Here are the sermon notes from this Sunday's sermon on Philippians 4.8-9.  You can find these notes in PDF and the sermon audio by visiting sermons.heritagepark.org.  You can also find the sermon audio on iTunes via our podcast.  Both sites should have the files by midweek.


Philippians
Think and Live
Philippians 4.8-9


Transformation is an inside-out process.
  • Renewal of the mind is its method (Romans 12.2).
  • We are barraged with ideas, images, and information – but do they renew our mind?

Objection 1:  it’s not affecting my life because it’s only “entertainment.”
  • It’s hard to condemn what you enjoy.

Objection 2:  it’s not affecting my life because I can discern the difference.
  • But advertising works and Satan works even better.

Objection 3:  it’s not real life to go through my day thinking about the Bible.
  • Christianity is the most real-life religion on the scene.
  • In fact, Christ doesn’t want you to withdraw – you miss a lot and lose the mission. 
What you behold is what you become.
  • We discipline ourselves so that we dwell on Him.
  • When I encounter the opposite, I envision the good.

Practice what works.
  • Teaching:  what I have learned, received, and heard.
  • Modeling:  what I have seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment