Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Atonement by Sacrifice

I had a great lesson in parenting the other day which I will gladly share because I'm sure you can all learn from my parenting expertise.

I was in the car with one of my kids (who shall remain nameless, lest we trade this one for a player to be named later and shall heretofore be known as Child).  Child threw an absolute fit.  It happened because dad saw Child make a mocking face - think:  after someone says something and they do that parroting thing back with a sarcasm written all over their face.  Bad move.

After my comments about how ungrateful Child was being, it broke loose.  There were some things at work that went into effect immediately...

  1. The relational distancing between Child and dad.  Moving over in the seat.  Huffing and puffing.  Folded arms.  You name it.  Present and accounted for.
  2. The pride which won't let me admit I'm wrong even though I know I probably am and is keeping me from getting right with the person with whom I need to get right.
  3. The atonement by sacrifice of giving back my lunch box and backpack so dad can sell it and get his money back because it's better than me humbly saying thanks.
I don't know about you, but I recognized those immediately because I do them in my relationship with God.  I distance myself.  I soak in my pride.  I try to make sacrifices to get God off my back instead of humbly coming to Him.  

Whoa.  

I recognize that presentation because I am that person.

And here's a great reminder for me (and maybe you too).  There is a sacrifice that makes me right.  But it doesn't come from me.  There's only one way to be made right with God and it comes through Jesus.  No amount of backpacks sold or lunch boxes sold will make up for the debt.  No amount of pledging to do better next time and trying harder will get it done.

Only faith.

Only faith in Jesus.

Only Jesus.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment