Sunday, November 27, 2011

Dude: don't wear the shirt

My family spent a couple of days at an amazing resort over Thanksgiving, the Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine, Texas.  We had a blast.  But that brings me to a story...


A guy had on this shirt...


The problem wasn't the shirt.  The problem was that he wouldn't get in the water to pull his daughter out when she had fallen off the lily pads.

Here's the story.  The Queen and Bear were off doing tube slides together.  I was playing with Peanut, practicing swimming while my Monkey (pictured above) was doing the lily pads.  My back was to the struggling daughter until a dad jumped in past me and I turned around with my daughter in my arms.  I saw T-Shirt Dad saying, "You can do it," from the side of the pool.  She wasn't doing it.  She was really struggling.  Jumping Dad grabbed the girl about 1 second before the Great Wolf lifeguard got there.

The girl was fine, but Jumping Dad and I exchanged a look and a couple of words that expressed our disbelief that T-Shirt Dad would call from the sidelines and not get in the pool.

T-shirts might be conversation starters or thought provokers.  But following Jesus isn't about either.  It's about doing the right thing when it needs to be done.  Do justice.  Act mercifully.  Walk humbly.  Don't sit on the side of the pool.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment