Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What to think about the Mideast...

It's actually an arrogant title for which I apologize.  I'm not telling you what to think.  I'm offering what I think.  I almost titled the post "What I think about the Mideast..." but it's just as arrogant:  why would you care what I think?

But on to the actual topic.

Egypt's in transition.  Libya seems to be in turmoil.  Tunisia is turned over.  Who's next?  What's next?  Who knows?

God does.

According to the Bible, God has "made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place..." (Acts 17.26).  He puts the beginning and the end on each country, republic, tyrant, president, king, and ruling party.  There is a time and place for everything.

I know there are two environments where the Gospel flourishes.  One is persecution.  The other is freedom.  And justice on a social scale, which pleases God, only flourishes in the latter.  So if the uprisings bring freedom, then Amen.

My prayer point and concern is that for societal freedom to really get its roots and flourish, you have to have religious freedom and media freedom.  Those are still up in the air.  But God knows.  So I'll pray.  I invite you to pray too.

No comments:

Post a Comment