Monday, March 14, 2011

8 Feet

8 feet.

96 inches.

23 inches taller than me.

The height of a normal ceiling.

8 feet.

That's how much Japan shifted from the earthquake.  Can you imagine an entire island just relocating 8 feet away from you?  Pretend you're standing on the shore with toes in the water.  All of the sudden, you're 8 feet from the shore without having moved, without the tide coming in.  The earthquake moved the island - the entire island.

8 feet.

I don't want to negate or downplay their suffering.  It's tremendous.  I told my lovely bride last night that if the death toll only hits 10,000, it will be a miracle.  There are and will be recovery efforts for years, if not centuries depending on what happens at the nuclear plants.

But I'm still astounded by 8 feet.  The earthquake moved the island of Japan by 8 feet.

And God is infinitely more powerful than that.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment