Thursday, June 20, 2013

Why I love the Lord's Prayer

Why do I love the Lord's Prayer?

First, it came out of a question in Luke 11 and in the middle of teaching new disciples in Matthew 6.  People don't necessarily know how to pray.  I think preachers have a tendency to say otherwise and talk about how there are no atheists in foxholes, but really praying (set over against crying out) does not come naturally.  Why?  Primarily I think that's because we are bent toward our own self-sufficiency.  Teaching on how to pray keeps us in the discipline of it and helps us to be shaped by it.

Second, it came straight out of the heart of Jesus.  He knows something about praying.  He's been doing it incessantly for a couple of millennia now (Heb. 7.25).  Right from His heart.

Third, it aligns my heart with His will.  When I pray for His Kingdom to come and His will to be done, I'm tracking along with His best for not just my life but the whole earth, even the whole cosmos.

Lastly, it's full of His compassion.  He lets me pray for daily needs.  He knows I'll need forgiveness and the restoration of relationship that comes along with it.  He knows I have a real Enemy and lets me pray about that.  He doesn't overlook my humanity but provides for it.

I've used the Lord's Prayer for my personal framework for years now.  Far from getting more rote, it actually blossoms with meaning, significance, and power.  If you'd like to try it, let each statement guide you and see if you don't grow.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment