Thursday, June 27, 2013

SCOTUS, DOMA, and other letters

I had one reaction to the ruling yesterday.

Just one.

Don't freak out.

That was it:  don't freak out.  I hope people who claim Christ don't run around screaming like they just saw a ghost or a spider or a clown with sad eyes and smiley lips.  Don't freak out.

Why?

First, there are narrow legal non-losses for traditional marriage.  SCOTUS didn't declare it constitutionally necessary for all states, for instance.

Second, Jesus knew that it was going to get worse before it got better.  Something like, "In this world you'll have trouble..."  I remember reading that somewhere (John 16.33 maybe?).

Lastly, the church tends to thrive when it faces opposition.  Lives become saltier and lighter.  Focus becomes sharper.  Witness becomes more credible (not less).

Besides, the real defense of marriage act happens in my home when I love my wife as Christ does the church and she encourages, affirms, and follows the godly leadership of her Jesus-following husband.  What better apologetic is needed today than actual living examples of a biblical marriage?  So I offer this idea of a sacrificially loving husband and a supportive, affirming wife as the root of a new hashtag:  #TrueDOMA.  By all means, spread the word.

In a biblically rooted home.  That is where the defense of marriage takes place.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment