Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Ugliness in Oklahoma

If you're like me, you can't take your eyes off the TV showing the images of devastation in Oklahoma nor can you get the images to go away when you close your eyes and try to sleep.  It's ugly.  Brutal.  Tragic.  Devastating.  Jaw-dropping.  Insert your descriptive adjective here.

I told a friend yesterday morning how I just can't imagine the parents who kissed their kids for the last time, putting them on the school bus with backpacks and lunch boxes and a hair-tussle.  That was it.  No more conversations.  No more hugs.  No more kisses.  Gone.

The other part that's just so ugly to me is the kids who died in the water while doing everything they possibly could to be safe.  Getting underground and dodging the tornado went great, but it all went sideways and they drowned.  As a parent, I cannot imagine living with the thought of my kid being in that kind of panic and all alone, scared to no end as they take their last breath.

It's gut-wrenching to me.  Quite literally.  I don't feel well when I think about it.

Here's the one affirmation that I have come back to multiple times since Monday:  God is in the heavens and He does what He pleases (Ps. 115.3).  I don't have to understand it all.  I can't theologically say that Satan made the tornadoes.  I can affirm that death isn't the best of God's agenda, thus He beat it at the cross and will forever reverse it in the end.  In the midst of all that's senseless, I have a confidence that God has this.

No, I don't feel that way.  But I have confidence in it (because He said it).

And that helps me pray for people in Oklahoma and churches working there.

No comments:

Post a Comment