Friday, July 2, 2010

The Value of a Long Dinner

Quality time happens in the midst of quantity time, which makes for healthier relationships.

We have a thing going this summer at church called Supper for Six.  The idea is to get six adults in the room together (with or without kids) three times over the course of the summer and share a meal, no agenda for the conversation, etc.  We intentionally grouped unlike couples to spread some of the familiarity around in the relational network we call church.  We had our first group meeting last night - burgers at our house, with kids.

The burgers were fine.  The weather stank.  My team lost at Cranium.  We talked a lot, laughed a lot, watched kids play and run and wrestle.  The last guest arrived at 6:40.  The last guest left at 10:00.  Good times.

I remember the guy who did our premarital counseling telling us that quality time happens in the midst of quantity time.  It's absolutely true in our marriage.  I know it's true in our parenting.  And it sure seems to be true in church.  Our hanging out with another family with 3 kids, a single gal, and a single mom with her 3 teens was quality time.  But it only happened because we committed the quantity together.  I'm looking forward to the next gathering, not because I have a male-driven need to redeem my board game record (I promise).

Slow down.  Turn off the phone.  Put kids to bed early.  Put kids to bed late after a long movie-and-popcorn night.  Shut off the internet.  Quantity time takes some sacrifice, for sure.  I don't know where that lands with you, but it's a fresh reminder for me today - I even hear my youngest whispering about a book of which I think I'll join in the reading.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment