Jesus gets Dissed
Why do they take offense?
- Content (v.2) – what He teaches is more than philosophy or pleasantries.
- Prejudice (v.2) – no one from His kind makes a prophet or teacher.
- Familiarity (v.3) – thinking you know Him and knowing Him are not the same.
What is the Response?
- Dishonor (v.4) – even among His own.
- Distance (v.5) – few came to Him, most stayed away.
- Disbelief (v.6) – not the same as doubt.
The message is scandalous and only received by faith (Heb. 11.6).
What does He do?
- He sends missionaries to the culture (v.6-7).
- He sends them with authority (v.7).
- He calls for their commitment on God (8-9).
- He calls for their commitment to the recipients (v.10-11).
- He relays the message through them: repent (v.12).