Monday, February 4, 2013

A Week of Social Commentary (1 of 4)

Let me take this week and post some commentary.  Because it's my blog, I guess I'm entitled to this option.  But I really want to try to keep my opinion from being my commentary.  So here goes...

I couldn't care less about the Super Bowl's outcome.  I'm actually typing this 4 minutes before kick off and I couldn't be more *meh* about it.

I think that has allowed me to think long and hard about the ridiculous nature of our cultural obsession with media.  We cannot go anywhere without it dominating our view, hearing, and attention.  Smart phones don't make it easier.  I actually had a conversation with one of my children about how we would call so-and-so to which the kiddo responded:  "Why don't we just text?  That's more 21st century."

Because we need to talk to one another as humans, unmediated by technology and media.

Here's the thing:  it's easy to talk about the cultural obsession.  I'm confident I'm not infected by the culture.  I'm sure of it.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment