Monday, April 7, 2014

The Beauty of Aaron's Ephod, or why I yawn in Exodus 28

If I confess there are parts of the Bible I don't understand, does that make me a bad pastor?  If I confess there are parts of the Bible I don't like reading, does that make me a bad pastor?

My current Bible reading plan (the M'Cheyne Plan, if you care) has me in Exodus at the moment.  I've read about Aaron's ephod and the jewels on the breastplate and so forth.  In my most honest moments when I read that, it's with a yawn.

There, I said it.

I'm not proud.  I'm not saying it to brag.  I'm not saying it to show you how authentic I can be.  I'm saying it because it's true.

And this morning, as I was yawning through Exodus 28, I think I might have heard the Spirit speak and remind me of something that you learn when you read about ephods and breastplates.  The point of the ephod and breastplates was beauty.  The one making the sacrifice for the people needed to be beautifully arrayed.

Did you get that?  That's what I think the Spirit said this morning to me.  The point is beauty.  The One who makes the sacrifice for the people must have in Himself a sense of beauty.  An obedience that is beautiful.  A willingness that is beautiful.  A sacrificial decision that is beautiful.  A joy set before Him, shame-despising beauty.

The One who makes the sacrifice for the people must have in Himself a sense of beauty.

And that, folks, is why Exodus 28 matters, why it's more than a check box on a Bible reading plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment