Monday, February 10, 2014

Sadness for Philip Seymour Hoffman

I have one primary thought about the passing of Philip Seymour Hoffman's passing.  I have other thoughts, secondary ones about the media coverage surrounding him and his circumstances.  Those I will save for another post.

The primary thought I have had as I reflect on him is the terrible hole in his heart that created the need to feed heroin into his veins.

We all have the same issue.  It's a vacuum in there, something like a black hole that keeps consuming and consuming and consuming.  Some need affection, so they feed the vacuum with relationship after relationship.  Some need significance, so they throw status symbol after status symbol into the hole to see if it will fill.  Some need purpose, so they go running from cause to cause and often wear themselves out.

On and on we could go.

The secret of this pursuit is its vanity.  It's as ridiculous as you individually throwing one grain of sand into the Grand Canyon at a time, claiming you're going to fill it.  The Bible says it's like that because eternity as been placed in our hearts and, therefore, nothing temporal can fill it.  Nothing.

Not a new job.  Not a new relationship.  Not a new possession.  Not anything.

Certainly not heroin.  It may numb us - anything can sate for a moment.  But it can't satisfy.

I'm sad for PSH because of the hole in his heart that caused him to put heroin in his veins.  And I know that's a human epidemic.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment